Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
Reform or Run? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
Reform or Run? EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
Reform or Run? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
Reform or Run? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
Reform or Run? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
Reform or Run? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
Reform or Run? EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
Reform or Run? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
Reform or Run? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Reform or Run?

4 posters

Go down

Reform or Run? Empty Reform or Run?

Post by ElizabethBennet Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Obviously, the Republican party is lacking. Should we work and strive for change within the party, or give up hope and start an entirely new party/join the Constitution party?
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://divine-deposits.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Reform or Run? Empty Re: Reform or Run?

Post by CheeseKing Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Very good question... i'm hosting an event where everyone I know is going to meet together and debate the issue. I think you easties should do the same. One side says "Voting the 'lesser of two evils' is highly unchristian, while the other side says voting for a third party is "wasting" your vote. Its all debatable. Reverend Joe Morecraft III of Georgia was questioning whether a conservative who votes liberal is worse than a liberal voting liberal. At least the liberal is telling the truth about it. I think our nation is in need of trials, personally. We have not been obedient and bad times seem to draw us together anyway. Chuck Baldwin is a godly man and very strong on issues. I might consider voting for him, but we'll see. I think we need unity (not like Lincoln's unity), for divided we will accomplish little.
CheeseKing
CheeseKing

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631165504

Back to top Go down

Post by sergeantgiggles Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Well, voting for a third party isn't really wasting your vote. If a third party comes out strong in the general election, one or both of the mainstream parties will realize that by adopting the issues of the third party, they can get more votes in the next one.
sergeantgiggles
sergeantgiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianEschen Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 pm

If your main concern is to get the lesser of two evils elected, then voting for a third party is a waste of your vote. However, if you are voting before God according to His standard (namely Exodus 18 and Deut. 17), then voting for a third party candidate who measures up, is an act of obedience. Christians are apt to think that somehow God will bring about His ends by our means. If we want His blessing, it would be wise to obey Him.

I think what we should do is, vote according to our conscience held captive by the Word of God, and at the same time reform the Republican party (it is my opinion that there are not many Republicans worth voting for). It has been changed for the better before, with organization and commitment, and by God's grace, we can do it again. Did you know that pro-life was not always on the platform? It is my opinion that a third party will never gain much prominence in our current condition (at least not until the church repents). The best thing to do is change it with what we have.

In regards to pragmatic voting, consider this quote, "Evangelical Christians, who ought to know better, have contented themselves for some years now in voting for the lesser of two evils. One faction wants to drive toward the cliff of God's judgment at sixty miles an hour, while the loyal opposition wants to slow down to forty. Hard-working and soft-thinking Christians bust a gut to get the latter group into power. And then, when they do assume control, they compromise with the ousted group and settle on a moderate and well-respected speed of fifty-eight. Instead of [following Exodus 18:21], we appoint fools and imbeciles, men who do not fear God, men who love, deceit, kickbacks, and bribes, and then we wonder why our traditional values campaign always seems to bog down. 'Why, O Lord, dost thou not deliver us from the secularists?' Of course the answer is that we haven't stopped voting for them. We are like those who want to be delivered from drowning so long as they get to stay down at the bottom of the pool." (p. 55-56 Joy at the End of the Tether by Doug Wilson)

Please note that I do not recommend reading his books.
BrianEschen
BrianEschen
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum