Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
Quotes EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
Quotes EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
Quotes EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
Quotes EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
Quotes EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
Quotes EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
Quotes EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
Quotes EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
Quotes EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Quotes

+2
LadyEowyn
89whiteandnerdy
6 posters

Go down

Quotes Empty Quotes

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 pm

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for posting quotes by our founding fathers or other historical figures highlighting the Biblical foundations of our country. I'll start us off with one:

"No nation can be strong except in the strength of God or safe except in His defense." -Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury under President Lincoln
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Quotes Empty Re: Quotes

Post by LadyEowyn Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:33 pm

--
Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior. - John Newton
LadyEowyn
LadyEowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by ElizabethBennet Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm

I hope there isn't a limit? I have many favorites from founding fathers and several quotes pertaining to the founding of this nation at Jamestown (one of my favorite subjects Very Happy) .

“I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in Providence for the illumination of the ignorant, and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.” President John Adams

"And have we now forgotten that powerful Friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived a long time; and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that 'except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it.' I firmly believe this; and I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel." Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

“Wee shall by plantinge there inlarge the glory of the gospel, and from England plante sincere religion, and provide a safe and a sure place to receave people from all partes of the worlds that are forced to flee for the truthe of God’s worde.”
Richard Hakluyt, Visionary Founder of Jamestown

"Here amid the graves of our ancestors, we renew our pledges to those principles of self-government, which have been consecrated by their examples through two-hundred and fifty years; and implore that great Being who so often and signally preserved them through trials and difficulties, to continue to our country His protecting guardianship and care. " (President John Tyler, 1857 Jamestown Jubilee Speech)

"We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherence of so noble a Work, which may, by the Provience of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory of his Divine Majesty, propogating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, and to a settled and quiet Government... " 1606 Charter

The entire charter is a must-read - it is sad our how much our nation has drifted from its roots.

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here." Patrick Henry
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://divine-deposits.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Legolas Greenleaf Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 pm

....Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!- Patrick Henry
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Buzzy Bee Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 am

"How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep Holidays than Commandments." - Benjamin Franklin
Little Buzzy Bee
Little Buzzy Bee
Loafer
Loafer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyEowyn Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32 am

"Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." -William Penn

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
LadyEowyn
LadyEowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Legolas Greenleaf Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:51 am

It's interesting seeing all those good sounding quotes coming from Benjamin Franklin. Because here is another quote from him:
"As to Jesus of Nazareth,...I have... some doubts as to his Divinity, tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with that now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble. I see no harm, however, in it's being believed, if that belief has the good consequence... of making his doctrines more respected and better observed."

He apparently had a strong belief in morality but nothing to back it up.
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

"Hold fast to the Bible as the sheet anchor of your liberties; write its precepts on your heart and practice them in your lives."

-Ulysses S. Grant

"It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God and do recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."

-Abraham Lincoln
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElizabethBennet Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 am

"The Tree of Liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.” - John Adams

“ Be religiously careful in our choice of all public officers . . . and judge of the tree by its fruits.” - Elias Boudinot

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” - Thomas Jefferson

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” - James Madison

"To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. . . . Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present republican forms of government, and all blessings which flow from them, must fall with them." - Jedediah Morse

"Let the children who are sent to those schools be taught to read and write and above all, let both sexes be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education” - Benjamin Rush

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.” - George Washington

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseKing Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 am

I'd like to take a moment to honor our 30th president Calvin Coolidge, also known as "Cool Cal" and "Silent Cal"

"Any man who does not like dogs and want them about, does not deserve to be in the White House"

He had several pet dogs and a couple of Raccoons as pets. Here's a quote from a book I read:

"'Silent Cal' was famous for not talking. Once a highsociety lady seated next to him said, "You must talk to me, Mr. Coolidge. I made a bet today that I could get more than two words out of you." Coolidge replied: "You lose.""

Reagan based much of his ideas off of Coolidge's. He was big for limited government, etc and was just awesome all around.

"Don't hesitate to be as revolutionary as science. Don't hesitate to be as reactionary as the multiplication table. Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong. Don't hurry to legislate. Give administration a chance to catch up with legislation."

" Never go out to meet trouble. If you will just sit still, nine cases out of ten someone will intercept it before it reaches you."

"If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."

"Those who trust to chance must abide by the results of chance."

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

“Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country”

"Ultimately property rights and personal rights are the same thing.”

“Our government rests upon religion. It is from that source that we derive our reverence for truth and justice, for equality and liberality and for the rights of mankind. Unless the people believe in these principles they cannot believe in our government. There are only two main theories of government in the world. One rests on righteousness and the other on force. One appeals to reason, the other appeals to the sword. One is exemplified in a republic, the other is represented by a despotism.
The government of a country never gets ahead of the religion of a country. There is no way by which we can substitute the authority of law for the virtue of men. Of course we can help to restrain the vicious and furnish a fair degree of security and protection by legislation and police control, but the real reform which society in these days is seeking will come as a result of religious convictions, or they will not come at all. Peace, justice, charity- these cannot be legislated into being. They are the result of Divine Grace.”

wow, good man...
CheeseKing
CheeseKing

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631165504

Back to top Go down

Post by ElizabethBennet Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams

One of our founding fathers on the Fourth of July:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not." ~ John Adams
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum