Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Palin and Complimentarianism

+2
Legolas Greenleaf
BrianEschen
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Palin and Complimentarianism - Page 2 Empty Re: Palin and Complimentarianism

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I agree with tuubaaku - no candidate is going to agree with us on every point. People are diverse and have different ideas. If we all just voted for someone we agree with completely, hardly anybody would vote.
Now, when it's a matter of moral issues that the candidate has or supports, that is a different matter entirely. But there is a difference between not supporting blatant sin and not supporting someone just because you disagree on a few points that could be considered "gray areas".

I hope that makes sense, I'm dog-tired right now and my brain is malfunctioning. Smile
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tuubaaku Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:13 pm

well, I don't think abortion is much of gray area. Smile however, wouldn't it be better to have McCain, who would support abortion less than Obama, who is radically pro-abortion in every way possible? I think there are other areas where McCain would be better than Obama, too.

tuubaaku
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianEschen Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

tuubaaku wrote:I guess I don't see a vote as condoning everything the candidate stands for, but more of trying to choose the best person available (maybe more pragmatic than idealistic?). Why is that view of voting wrong?

It depends on what the stands are that you do not agree with. I reject the claim that the Bible presents no guidelines for voting. If God has given us the blessing of voting (which He has), then it would be wise for us to follow His standards for voting. For this reason, I take passages such as Exodus 18, Deuteronomy 1 and 17, and Romans 13 as directing the Christian how to vote. To the degree we ignore these, we invite God's judgment.

In summary, since God has not left us to fumble in the dark while voting, but has clearly set forth the requirements both for civil office (see Exodus and Deuteronomy) and the kinds of laws that should be passed (see Romans 13), we should vote accordingly. It is not a matter of agreeing with a candidate in everything, but in agreeing with God about who is a qualified candidate. I could be wrong, but I have not yet been shown a sound biblical argument to the contrary.
BrianEschen
BrianEschen
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tuubaaku Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:53 pm

I see great principles in these passages for how to vote - however, I don't really see the principle of not voting at all and just letting the rest of society decide, if there are no suitable candidates to vote for. Maybe we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how often do you put this into practice and not vote in a race?

tuubaaku
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianEschen Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 am

tuubaaku wrote:I see great principles in these passages for how to vote - however, I don't really see the principle of not voting at all and just letting the rest of society decide, if there are no suitable candidates to vote for.
My reasoning goes like this . . . 1) God has told us the kind of ruler we should vote for 2) If we vote for someone who is contrary to this, it is disobedience to God.

tuubaaku wrote:Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how often do you put this into practice and not vote in a race?
I never have to in California. It sounds like this may be an issue for some in North Carolina (not to be confused with the South at large) Wink

tuubaaku wrote:Maybe we'll just have to disagree on this one.
I disagree with my best friend on this one. You are in good company. Smile
BrianEschen
BrianEschen
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2