Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
Should English be the Language of Choice? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Should English be the Language of Choice?

5 posters

Go down

Should English be the Language of Choice? Empty Should English be the Language of Choice?

Post by ElizabethBennet Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:44 pm

If you want to live in America, should you be required to speak our language? Should we hold debates in Spanish, like the Univision debate last night? Should we be willing to have to post signs in 10 different languages?
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://divine-deposits.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Should English be the Language of Choice? Empty Re: Should English be the Language of Choice?

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Yes, I believe that since English was the founding language and is still the predominant language in our culture, it should be taught in school to all immigrants, and used as the main language.
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Should English be the Language of Choice? Empty Re: Should English be the Language of Choice?

Post by YoungStonewall Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Absolutely!!

Fluency in english should be a prerequisite for application for citizenship, or any legal residency.

If you want to live here learn the language. If I wanted to live in France (like that would ever happen Laughing ) I wouldn't expect the the french to cater to my native language, I would learn bloody french!! tongue

YoungStonewall

Last edited by on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
YoungStonewall
YoungStonewall
High Lord Protector Against Sanity
High Lord Protector Against Sanity

Location : I have gone to find myself. If I should come back before I return...keep me here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Legolas Greenleaf Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:51 am

I do believe that to become a citizen you should be able to speak fluent English.

About posting signs in different languages though. I'm totally clear on what you mean by having to post signs in 10 different languages. Would you like to go to another country and not be able to find a single english sign?

confused
This is what I would look like.
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWylff Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't know if you ought to be "fluent in english" to apply for citizenship. Sure, you ought to know english, and since it takes so blasted long to become a citizen you have plenty of time (5-7 years or something). But I don't think you need to be required to be "fluent." Actually, I guess it depends on your definition of fluent. How good do you need to know english to be fluent? Know it as well as I do? I have relatives (by law) who don't know english nearly as well as me, they grew up somewhere else. They've been citizens for a long time, and I have no problem not letting a person become a citizen if he is not fluent. Some people who've grown up in another country cannot become fluent, it's just too hard to learn it.
TheWylff
TheWylff
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://www.fidelitybiblekits.com/theedp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum