Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
federal penitentiary system EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
federal penitentiary system EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
federal penitentiary system EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
federal penitentiary system EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
federal penitentiary system EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
federal penitentiary system EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
federal penitentiary system EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
federal penitentiary system EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
federal penitentiary system EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

federal penitentiary system

4 posters

Go down

Should we have a federal jail system?

federal penitentiary system Vote_lcap13%federal penitentiary system Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
federal penitentiary system Vote_lcap75%federal penitentiary system Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 6 ]
federal penitentiary system Vote_lcap12%federal penitentiary system Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 8

federal penitentiary system Empty federal penitentiary system

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 am

I'll start off this thread by stating my views on the jail system.
I believe that putting someone in jail for a crime is "cruel and unusual punishment". The Biblical and historical form of punishment for crimes consisted of public humiliation/punishment and full restitution. The jail system produces Arrow A drain on tax dollars (used to provide free housing and food for these crooks for years on end); Arrow A lack of full rehabilitation and production of useful citizens for our country (jail doesn't teach them anything, they just sit there and maybe pick up trash occasionally); Arrow complete lack of restitution for the victim (all they get is the satisfaction of seeing the crook rot). Therefore, it would be my view that the jail system is harmful both for the society and the convict. The only time that I would perhaps use a system like this is for holding purposes before trial.

Any comments?
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

federal penitentiary system Empty Re: federal penitentiary system

Post by TheWylff Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:43 am

I think there needs to be a distinction made here between jail and prison. Jail is for petty crimes, and primarily, I don't have a big problem with it. Maximum sentences, and I don't know exactly what it is, but it's generally a couple weeks. A prison is for "real" criminals—and most are put in prison for years and years if not their whole lives. (hey, someone was caught evading taxes and they put in in jail for 200 years!)

I do not like prison, the very idea is wrong. Neither am I in full favour of public humiliation 100% of the time. Sometimes, crimes can be crimes but not the fault of the person who committed it. For instance, involuntary manslaughter is a crime. Someone ran out into the middle of the street and you killed him. Perhaps he should be punished, but not by public humiliation. Serving prison sentence, while I don't find it cruel and unusual, it's definitely not unusual Wink—I see it as very ineffective. I think jail can stay pretty much where it is. Prison should be reserved for very special cases. It costs us a lot of quid in taxes to support criminals. Don't you find it a little bit disconcerting that you, a possible victim, could be paying for the criminal who harmed/stole from you? You could be supporting him, buying his food and drink, if you will. It costs too much. On the other hand, if they were made to work and pay it off that way, similar to the ideas held in the Bible—it would not only be more effective in warding off possible criminals, but it would be less expensive. I think there are a lot of petty crimes going on because people aren't afraid to get caught, not really. If they do, it's only a few weeks or months in a comfy cell where you get your meals brought to you and you get to watch TV and sleep on a real bed. (Hey, for some people, that's a treat.) Besides that, so many of them get off scot free that—well, I'm done ranting for now. I could carry on, but I don't see the point.
TheWylff
TheWylff
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://www.fidelitybiblekits.com/theedp

Back to top Go down

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:54 am

OK, my bad, I meant prison. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Legolas Greenleaf Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't know much about how the jail system really works. I think it's for holding suspects till trial and perhaps petty offenders. I see nothing wrong or unbiblical with holding suspects till they can be tried somewhere where they can be watched. I think house arrest is a good option if it seems safe.
I don't think that as a general rule simply locking someone up is a good biblical punishment for crimes. Perhaps someone can show me otherwise. There also may be some exceptions. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there may be some.

89whiteandnerdy wrote:I believe that putting someone in jail for a crime is "cruel and unusual punishment".

I don't know about the jail (you probably meant prison) system being "cruel and unusual punishment." I really don't like the phrase anyways because of it's abuse. Isn't the death penalty "more cruel" than the prison system. Would you like to elaborate?

I'm totally against prison! I don't see any warrant for it. Exodus clearly mandates punishments for things like manslaughter, murder, homosexuality, etc. I'm sure you all know my views on that. (if not take a look at the "Death Penalty thread). Besides that it costs money which doesn't need to be spent on such things. I don't want to pay for a murder to live in prison for 40—or whatever—years! If someone steals they need to pay me back! As a side note it's also ridiculous to allow a thief to sue me because he got hurt while breaking into my home! (there was a case I heard about recently where that happened!)
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseKing Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:03 pm

You guys have the rights ideas. Good for you. Go spread your great wisdom abroad! TheWycliffe brought up a good point. Prisoners should pay for themselves. We should not. We should rise up and protest it. If prisons are to be kept, we need some major reforms. All workers should be forced to work. if they don't work, they don't eat, and thus they commit suicide by not working. That's their problem, not ours. Not only should prisoners work to pay for their room and board, the only way to get out of prison is for them to work off 3-4 times the damage they cost to get into prison. Complete restitution. A good reminder there, whiteandnerdy. That money needs to go to the people that have been wronged by the prisoner. If the prisoner has committed a crime worthy of death, the prisoner should be put to death as soon as sufficient evidence has been provided. That appeals process is rubbish. Mistakes do happen, but too rarely. That's all I got to say about that...
CheeseKing
CheeseKing

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631165504

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down