Political Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Design of the Mound System of Waste Water Treatment
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am by HallettStan

» Big Brothers Big Sisters- Recognition for Accountability
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:10 am by DONALD C

» Dedicated to Energy
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 am by shulink

» Rest In Peace . . .
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm by 89whiteandnerdy

» American Revolution - Biblical?
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm by BrianEschen

» Is Slavery Wrong? Why or why not.
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm by BrianEschen

» Patriot Act
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am by YoungStonewall

» God is Just
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am by CheeseKing

» Questioning More "Facts" From American History
Do we make too big a deal about the President? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 pm by BrianEschen

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Do we make too big a deal about the President?

+4
ElizabethBennet
Legolas Greenleaf
CheeseKing
HokieAirman
8 posters

Go down

Do we make too big a deal about the President? Empty Do we make too big a deal about the President?

Post by HokieAirman Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:00 am

Do we make too much of a deal about the President of the United States? Does he wield too much power? Does the Congress? Have we as citizens given up our rightful powers and handed them to the National Government?

How many of the first 15 Presidents can you name without looking it up? Geo Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson...... I know more, but not in order. I believe that, besides the founding fathers, many of them are forgotten because they limited themselves to their constitutional duties and not more. We do not hear of much legislation passed in those early years because the nations people were active in electing their representatives to the newly formed republic.

What I am getting at is this: the federal government was designed to be very limited. I defer to the Federalist Papers on this point. They will make my case. (I'm on #15). Our Constitution lists very specific enumerated powers, which was designed to be a limiting factor, not a peephole into what grand things the Federal Government could accomplish.

My main point would have to be the following: If we elect Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama, or even Mr. McCain to the Office of President, do not despair. As Brian Eschen said in another post, "God never leaves results up to us." Can they do damage? Yes, of course. Can they destroy the nation? Maybe. Can the destroy God's people? NO! The people still wield the power if they would only choose to use it. I would like to submit to discussion the fact that local elections are much more important than Federal, yet the Federal candidates are the only ones we pay attention to. It is also much easier to get elected to a local office. This is how our republic was designed. Power was exercised from the bottom up, not the top down, as it is today. "All that is needed for evil to prevail is for enough good men to do nothing!" The words of Edmund Burke ring true today. He knew the importance of the little guy getting involved.

Allow me to expound. Say you gather other Christians in your church and community and you all attend your local county/precinct conventions and get elected as delegates to the state convention and then to the national convention in September. You now have the power to change the Republican (or Democrat if you so choose) party platform at the local, state, and even national level. This is where party platforms are hammered out...in the smoky convention halls, by elected delegates. This can open doors to other offices if you so choose, or you can leave it at that. Basically, a relatively small, extremely motivated group of people can change the world. We saw it in 1776, and again in 1787.

I know this isn't as well organized as I intended, but I'd love to see some discussion on the original question. Do we make too much of a deal about the President of the United States? Idea
HokieAirman
HokieAirman

Back to top Go down

Do we make too big a deal about the President? Empty Re: Do we make too big a deal about the President?

Post by CheeseKing Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 am

The president is the Commander-in-chief and the wielder of the "red button". Aside from that, he's just a small guy in a big chair, begging the public to join him. Why does he beg? Why does he make speeches? We are the ones who decide the direction of the country. I would say you are correct in your analysis. We do make too much of a deal about the Presidents. I would just prefer to have someone vetoing naughty bills, as opposed to good ones. The Congress makes laws and the Supreme Court defines laws. Those two are the ones we need to look out for.

I would only make a deal about the next president, because I want someone who would appoint good Supreme Court Justices. It is in God's hands, yes, but I would still hope for someone that could appoint godly judges who would uphold the law.
CheeseKing
CheeseKing

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631165504

Back to top Go down

Do we make too big a deal about the President? Empty Re: Do we make too big a deal about the President?

Post by Legolas Greenleaf Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Yes, that is one of the most important jobs the president has to appoint good supreme court judges.
Legolas Greenleaf
Legolas Greenleaf
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by HokieAirman Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:24 am

Yes, that is one of the most important jobs the president has to appoint good supreme court judges.

All judicial nominees still have to be confirmed by the Senate. It had been largely ceremonial for many years, but recently (well, in the 80's) Ronald Reagan was forced to withdraw Robert Bork's nomination and replace him with Sandra Day O'Connor due to the fierce opposition by liberal democrats in the Senate. Unfortunately, I believe they torpedoed a good candidate, but if Conservatives get out the polls and elect tough conservatives to the 1/3 of the Senate seats up for grabs this year, Hillary and Obama wouldn't get a single judge through.

Vr'

Jeremy
HokieAirman
HokieAirman

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseKing Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I hear that they even make cabnet members get confirmed by the Senate. How stupid is that?
CheeseKing
CheeseKing

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631165504

Back to top Go down

Post by ElizabethBennet Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 pm

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

True, I think sometimes we do make too big a deal about the president - esp. every four years. Laughing You have to have "good guys" all around to actually make any difference. Rolling Eyes
ElizabethBennet
ElizabethBennet
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

http://divine-deposits.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianEschen Sat May 03, 2008 7:29 pm

I think that local civil government is ripe for the picking and that Christians should focus most of their attention and efforts towards those positions of authority. Can you imagine what it would be like to have a bunch of Christians committed to obeying God and following the rule of law across this country. We would then be in a position to resist the tyranny of the higher civil authorities and hold them accountable for what they do (much like our forefathers did to England). This is my vision for where I live, which is why I am running for office this year.

Additionally, as Mike Winther likes to encourage us to do, we need to be reading the books that our forefathers read. Some of the most read books during the defensive War for Independence in 1776 were books like, Lex Rex by Samuel Rutherford, A Vindication of Liberty Against Tyrants by Junius Brutus and The Law by Frederic Bastiat. The Bible that was brought over from Europe was not the King James Version but the Geneva Bible (the first "study Bible") which was full of footnotes from John Knox's congregation against the tyranny of man. The men who founded this nation understood that the greater authority was best to be held at the local level. As a result most "problems" were handled at the local level where rulers were more accountable.
BrianEschen
BrianEschen
Experienced Contributor
Experienced Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 89whiteandnerdy Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:36 pm

I think we make too big of a deal about the President as opposed to the other branches of government, but frankly the expansion of federal control over our lives and freedoms is a cause for great concern, and a general call to action for all conservative and truly patriotic citizens would be in order. The American people have gone to sleep while the Federal government and globalist organizations such as the UN have stolen our freedoms away one by one. I will expound on request.

Americans as a whole do not make a big enough deal about the government's usurping of the exclusive powers and rights that belong to the citizens. I know that you all on this forum do care, and I encourage you to take what action you can to right these wrongs, by voting responsibly and keeping tabs on your representatives, as well as upholding our civil leaders in prayer.
89whiteandnerdy
89whiteandnerdy
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

http://capcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by addo1 Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Well, I think without the president everything would be sort of loose. The president tightens all the strings and helps everything fit in better.
addo1
addo1

http://captoday.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by waxhawflyer Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:34 pm

The answer to your 4 questions is a definite yes. As it stands we don't have a president, just a dictator or monarch. The congress has abdicated it's duty to hold in check the power of the executive branch and the supreme court is just plain out to lunch for the most part. The president can do just about anything he or his puppeteers (? spelling) desires with no resistance from the congress. Hope things change as this stands but am not very hopeful from change. About the only glimmer of hope I see is some of the opinions on forums such as these.
waxhawflyer
waxhawflyer
Neanderthal Man
Neanderthal Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down